The Ingestre Orangery is a Grade II listed building in the Staffordshire village of Ingestre that dates back to 1840. The Orangery sits in the grounds of Ingestre Hall, a Grade II 17th Century Jacobean mansion, which is now used as a residential Arts and Conference Centre.
The site is owned by Sandwell Council, but the Orangery building and surrounding gardens had been unused for many years, falling into disrepair and becoming hidden behind the overgrown foliage. Thanks to a dedicated charity group, The Friends of Ingestre Orangery, a significant sum of money was raised to restore the Orangery to its former glory, and bring it back into use for the community.
With the finances in place, the charity group began restoring the building and gardens. A design team was brought together led by PCPT Architects and the Leeds office of Buro Happold Engineering. Parson Contracting were the installers for the project.
To draw attention to the high, apex ceilings, double circular light fittings by Delta Light were suspended from the roof, with light-diffusing from each of the circles. Directional light is ideal for events and exhibitions, while upwards and downwards light ensures illumination for working, gatherings and social activities.
With the renovation work complete, the Ingestre Orangery can be hired by groups who are visiting the hall, such as students and school groups. It is also available as a premier wedding ceremony venue, exhibition space, conference centre and community hub.